Having performed a review of the results of driving tests taken by my pupils in 2013, I thought I would share the top 5 reasons for not passing a test.
1. Failing to move off safely (not checking blind spots or failing to signal correctly)
2. Not paying attention to road signs, pedestrians crossing the road or traffic lights (including not proceeding when a green filter light appears)
3. Not using mirrors appropriately (before a change in speed or direction)
4. Lane discipline at roundabouts or failing to perform MSM, when changing lanes
5. Control or observations during one of the manoeuvres
Obviously each individual learner has their own individual needs and areas of driving that require development but I use my experience of these common reasons to help focus the preparation for the driving test.