Show Me Questions
Q1 – Show me how you would check that the direction indicators are working.
- Switch on the hazard warning switch (or turn on the indicators in each direction). Go outside the car and check that all the indicators are working.
Q2 – Show me how you would check that the brake lights are working on this car. (I can assist you, if you need to switch the ignition on, please don’t start the engine)
- Switch on the ignition, press the brake pedal and either make use of reflections (in windows, garage doors, reversing up to another car etc) or ask someone to look.
Q3 – Show me / explain how you would check that the power assisted steering is working before starting a journey.
- Before starting a journey two simple checks can be made. Gentle pressure on the steering wheel, maintained while the engine is started, should result in a slight but noticeable movement as the system begins to operate. Alternatively, turning the steering wheel just after moving off will give an immediate indication that the power assistance is functioning.
Q4 – Show me how you would check the parking brake (handbrake) for excessive wear, making sure you keep safe control of the vehicle.
- Apply footbrake firmly (to make sure that the car does not move) and then apply the parking brake (handbrake) so that it secures the car (by pulling it up by about 3/4 of its travel). Let go of the footbrake (to demonstrate that the car has been secured) and then pull the handbrake up further (to show that it is not at the end of the working travel).
Q5 – Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine oil level and tell me how you would check that the engine has sufficient oil.
- Identify dipstick/oil level indicator, describe check of oil level against the minimum/maximum markers (but mention that the dipstick must be taken out and cleaned first).
Q6 – Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine coolant level and tell me how you would check that the engine has the correct level.
- Identify minimum/maximum level markings on expansion tank.
Q7 – Open the bonnet, identify where the brake fluid reservoir is and tell me how you would check that you have a safe level of hydraulic brake fluid.
- Identify reservoir, check level against minimum/maximum markings.
Q9 – Show me how you would check that the horn is working (off road only).
- Check is carried out by using the horn on the steering wheel (but must only be done off road).
Q10 – Show me how you would clean the windscreen using the windscreen washer and wipers
- Operate control to wash and wipe windscreen (turn ignition on). On the Ford Fiesta, pull the control towards yourself (and hold it), to clean the back windows/ Push and hold the end of the control, to clean the front windows.
Q11 – Show me how you would set the demister controls to clear all the windows effectively, this should include both front and rear screens.
- Set all relevant controls including; fan, temperature, air direction/source and heated screen to clear windscreen and windows. On the Ford Fiesta, there is a single demister switch (it’s yellow). The engine does not have to be started for this demonstration.
Q12 – Show me how you would switch on the rear fog light(s) and explain when you would use it/them. (No need to exit vehicle)
- Turn on ignition and operate the light switch (dipped headlights) before pressing the fog light button (to the right of the light switch). Check warning light is on. Explain use (i.e. when visibility is less than 100m)
Q13 – Show me how you switch your headlight from dipped to main beam and explain how you would know the main beam is on whilst inside the car.
- Turn on ignition and operate the light switch (dipped headlights) before moving the indicator stick towards you (this operates the main beam). Check with main beam warning light (a blue light in the central part of the instrument panel). If asked, this is used on unlit roads (at night) but not if there is oncoming traffic or the main beam would shine into the car ahead.
Tell Me Questions
Q14 – Tell Me Tell me how you would check that the brakes are working before starting a journey.
- Brakes should not feel spongy or slack. Brakes can be tested as you set off (i.e. the vehicle should brake in a straight line and not pull to one side).
Q15 – Tell Me where the windscreen washer reservoir is and tell me how you would check the windscreen washer level.
- Identify reservoir and explain how to check level (there is no minimum/maximum level but, if you can’t see fluid, it needs filling up)
Q16 – Tell Me where you would find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for this car and how tyre pressures should be checked.
- Check the manufacturer’s guide. Use a reliable pressure gauge, check and adjust pressures when tyres are cold (not forgetting any spare tyre), remembering to refit valve caps.
Q17 – Tell Me how you make sure your head restraint is correctly adjusted so it provides the best protection in the event of a crash.
- The head restraint should be adjusted so the rigid part of the head restraint is at least as high as the eye or top of the ears, and as close to the back of the head as is comfortable. N.B. In the Ford Fiesta, you need to press a button on the side of the head restraint to move it but restraints on some other vehicles might not be adjustable.
Q18 – Tell Me how you would check the tyres to ensure that they have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is safe to use on the road.
- There should be no visible damage (no cuts or bulges) to the walls/sides of the tyre and there should be a minimum of 1.6mm of tread depth across the central 3/4 (three quarters) of the breadth of the tyre, around the entire outer circumference.
Q19 – Tell me how you would check that the headlights & tail lights are working. (No need to exit vehicle)
- Turn on ignition and operate switch, then walk round vehicle. (As this is a “Tell Me” question, there is no need to physically check the lights.)
Q20 – Tell me how you would know if there was a problem with your anti lock braking system.
- A warning light (ABS) should illuminate for a few seconds when you switch on the ignition and then turn off. If there is a fault with the anti lock braking system, the light will not turn off (or may suddenly come on when you are driving).
If you wish to prepare for your test and are not currently learning to drive with me, you may be interested in my mock test. To discuss your requirements in more detail please complete the contact form or call me today on 0798 011 1234 (or send a text message).
Driving Lessons in Nottingham with Martin